Thursday, August 25, 2011

In Texas we say Ven-YAY...

Pronouncing the names of wine grapes can be a challenge for some people. I always love it when a customer at the store asks for a Viognier, everyone pronounces it differently. I'll get WHAN-yay if they think the "V" is pronounced "W". Then there's VEE-og-ner, or VOHG-ner. But my personal favorite is the very, very, Texas pronounciation of Ven-YAY... Always puts a smile on my face!

However you pronounce it, it's a great wine for pairing with a heavier fish dish, or even a cream sauce.

I've been catching up on Wine Spectator and really loving their picks for Wine of the Week. Most of them are wines I've tried and loved and are my customer's favorites. Great to know that Wine Spectator and I are in sync these days! I also just LOVE Harvey Steiman, his reviews, tasting notes and articles are always fun to read; he writes with a bit of wry humour that adds to your reading pleasure.


Wine of the Week for July 25, 2011



Posted: July 25, 2011

Yalumba Viognier South Australia The Y Series 2010 (89 points, $12)

"Fresh and juicy, delivering an exuberant mouthful of lemon peel–accented pear, almond and apricot flavors that linger beautifully. Drink now through 2013. 16,200 cases imported. From From Australia."  

-Harvey Steiman

What I love about this wine is its BIG-NESS (is that a word? Probably not, but you get what I mean.) - it is definitely a mouthfull of mouthfeel. So delicious and round in the mouth - flavor and finish that lasts and lasts, like the Energizer Bunny

Find it ~ Buy it ~ Try it ~ Love it!
Salud! KathyD

No comments:

Wine Events

There was an error in this gadget

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews