Sunday, March 20, 2011

Last glass...

I've been avoiding California Cabernet for more almost a year now, although you couldn't tell it by looking at my cellar - filled with case after case of Cabernet from many different producers.  Cabs were my first wine-love but I've gotten away from them because they're so one-dimensional (at least to me these days).  I've gradually migrated to blends because they seem to offer so much more during your wine-drinking experience; more color, more aromatics, more levels or layers of complexity to the mid-palate and to the finish - blends just seem to be more.

In any event, I acquired a bottle of the Knights Valley Cabernet Sauvignon and immediately my interest was piqued - the wine has undergone a makeover with a newly designed (and eye-catching) label; gone is the old white, standard (boring) typical Beringer (and everyone else's) label.


2007 Beringer Cabernet Sauvignon Knights Valley
Old label ~ Blech. Boring!
The new label is black, with silver lettering, and an embossed picture of the Knights Valley vineyard, complete with the undulating rows of vines with the mountains in the background - VERY nice! And, as the salesman said, "Sexy, huh?"  It just looks very upscale and immediately raises your expectations for the wine behind the label.

New Label ~ Beautiful!

So... How was it? Ahhh, big, dark and delicious! That's the simple answer. My tasting notes read, "aromas of blackberries and dusty cedar, juicy, soft mouthfeel, elegant, GRIP - flavors: anisette/licorice, long finish of dusty black plum and black cherry". 


What I liked most about this wine was that it was multi-dimensional. It has the up-front black fruit that you want your Cabernet to have, followed by a velvet, roundness in the mouth, and the firm earthy tannins on the finish. It was more than just black currant and vanilla as most Cali Cabs have denigrated to in recent years.

All in all as I said earlier - BIG. DARK. DELICIOUS. The 2008 is recently released and should be fairly easy to locate in abundant supply and probably will retail for $18-24. If you can find it at the $18 range, it warrants a case for your cellar.

more info on this wine...
Find it ~ Buy it ~ Try it ~ Love it!

Salud! Kathyd


1 comment:

James Smith said...

BKV...very reliable and one of my favorites!!

Wine Events

UpTweet

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews