Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I went to TexSom 2010 and all I brought back was a lousy spit cup...

TEXSOM   FAQ's:

Q:     So, 165 wines in one sitting? Just exactly how is that done? I mean, who props you up and rolls you from tasting station to tasting station?

A:     Well, it's not like that. I mean, yes, you DO go from station to station, and each station might have 6-12 wines represented and open for tasting. But, you DON'T drink them, you TASTE them. Therein lies the difference, my friend... AND, even when you TASTE, you don't swallow. I know, I know - Gore didn't inhale - yada, yada, yada.  It's all about asking yourself some questions: Why am I here - business, or pleasure? What do I hope to gain from this tasting event - expansion of my palate, or free wine? What sort of impression do I want to make - industry professional, or wine-tourist? (I was taught this last one by my friend and former boss, Tabitha Crocker, and I try to remember it whenever I step into a room to sample or evaluate wine.)

I have attended some two hour wine tastings where, literally, 300 wines were open for you to sample. Of course you can't event attempt to sample all of them. Swallowing a one-ounce pour from each would be the equivalent of drinking 13 and a half bottles of wine. You'd be dead of alcohol poisoning! Seriously, it's just not done. Here are some suggestions if you're fortunate enough to attend a large tasting event:


When you enter an open table tasting like that, you are given a program listing the wines to be poured. In a perfect world you would scan the list, look for wines that meet your needs that day, and head to those tables. Again, asking yourself some questions:

Work: If I am looking to supplement something in my set at work, am I looking for value wines or premium wines? Red, or white? Pinot Noir, or Cabernet? Chardonnay, or Sauvignon Blanc? Imported or domestic?



Personal: Yes, it's okay to admit you're there for personal reasons! If I am trying to expand my palate, I look at the list and head toward tables representing regions and wines that I want to become more familiar with - Loire Valley Chenin Blanc and Chinon, Spain for some Priorat, New Zealand Pinot Noir...

 If I want to practice food and wine pairings, I grab a plate of food and head for the tables with wines I think will pair well - most of the time I find I'm happy with my choices, but sometimes I have a big miss, and that's good, too, because I have learned something. And that's always awesome!



So, you've checked out the list of wine being poured, you've marked or noted what is of interest to you, narrowing it down from 300 to maybe 25, or 30 - Good for you!! Head to those tables and the tasting begins:



Wait Your Turn: There is always a line, hold your glass by the stem and wait until you're facing the pourer.





Be Nice: Tell them you'd like to sample the _________. (Be nice, they are giving you free wine, so smile, say please, and thank you.) Then hold your glass out and they'll pour a one-ounce sample.





Don't just drink it, you should evaluate it using the three S's:

See, Sniff, Sample

See: Hold the glass (by the stem), look at the wine and its color; swirl it a bit (Be careful! you don't want to spill it on your nice white shirt! And that's another thing Tabby taught me - Never wear white to a wine tasting!), so swirl it and check out how it hangs on the sides of the glass.






Sniff: Now do the little "sniffy-sniff" (ala Gary Vaynerchuk) and see if anything smells familiar, if not - well, then do you LIKE the aroma, or not?






Sip: Okay, now we're to the sample part (finally!) - take a small sip, hold it in your mouth and splash it around a bit, then spit it out. Yes, you heard me - SPIT IT OUT.




Every table will have a dump/spit bucket there, and yes - people DO use them. Don't get so disturbed... You'll get another sip, after all - an ounce is pretty big!  If you try the first sip and don't like the sample poured, DUMP IT OUT.



Do not drink it... Life's too short, the tasting is too long, and there are too many good wines to actually swallow something you don't like. Just take your glass and pour the sample into the dump bucket on the table, say thank you to the pourer and walk away, or ask for a sample from the next bottle. You won't hurt their feelings - that's what the dump buckets are there for.




Now you can decide whether to sip and swallow, or sip and spit, the second taste.  If you have a long list of wines to get through, you just might want to spit all samples, or at least 90% of them. Save the swallowing for the ones that make your mouth do the happy dance when you try them, believe me - you'll know which ones they are!





So, now you're tasting like a pro, aren't you proud of yourself?





  
Tune in for our next lesson on how to balance a tiny plate piled high with wonderful food, a fork, a napkin in one hand and your wine glass in the other hand... Awww, that's not too hard - until you want to take a bite!



Wine tasting, it's not just an event - it's an ADVENTURE!

Salud! KathyD

No comments:

Wine Events

There was an error in this gadget

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews