Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Que Syrah, Syrah...

I just realized that tonight's WoW (Wine on Wednesday) study is on Syrah and I am bringing a Perrin & Fils Les Sinards Red Chateauneuf du Pape. I am dismayed (and slightly embarrassed) with myself that I didn't have this epiphany earlier... Why am I chastising myself?

Well, the wine that I am presenting this evening is only 10% Syrah! MAJOR Faux pas!
According to Wikipedia: (pronounced /ˌfoʊˈpɑː/, plural: faux pas /ˌfoʊˈpɑː(z)/) is a violation of accepted social norms (for example, standard customs or etiquette rules).[1] Faux pas vary widely from culture to culture, and what is considered good manners in one culture can be considered a faux pas in another. The term comes originally from French, and literally means "false step".

So, yes, a false step - I wanted to bring a bottle that cries out, "SYRAH!!" when you see it. And in my mind I made the leap to a CDP (Chateauneuf du Pape), which is what I think of when I think of a French Syrah, the Rhone, the SOUTHERN Rhone, a Cotes du Rhone wine, a CLASSIC Cotes du Rhone wine.

I have a mnemonic device for remembering Syrah from the Rhone Valley ~ "The B-ottom is a B-lend, the N-orth is N-ot", meaning that the wines from the south of the Rhone Valley are blends, and the wines of the north of the Rhone Valley are not, they are almost 100% Syrah (maybe a touch of Viognier in Cote Rotie).

But, as I said, tonight is Syrah night, and my wine is only 10% Syrah, the majority is Mourvedre, Grenache, Cinsault, then my measly little touch of Syrah... Bummer.  Again, why such a bummer? Well, this wine is a 2005 and has a lifespan of  15 years and in my rush to share a wine I love, I have opened it in its adolescent stage, not its mature phase.

So, this wine will present as a skinny, pimply-faced version of its suave, sophisticated mature self ~





and I'm afraid will be a disappointment to me and my fellow wineaux who will attend this evening. Bummer. Such a waste of good wine...

Oh, well ~ live and learn.
Here's to (hopefully) opening no wine before its time!
 Salud! KathyD

No comments:

Wine Events

There was an error in this gadget

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews