Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Wine on ice? So nice!

If you're like me, you're getting ready for a day of fun in the sun on the Fourth of July - planning the activities, and working on the food and drink menu. But it's so hot you wouldn't even think of a having a glass of Cabernet or Malbec out by the pool... So, what's a wine-lover to do on a hot, hot day?

Follow my lead and make up a pitcher of Sangria that's certain to please all your guests and beat the heat at the same time! Until I moved "South" I never really cared for Sangria, but in the heat of a Texas summer it can really hit the spot.

There are probably as many recipes for Sangria, as there are people in Spain ~ and everyone a special ingredient to make the recipe their own. One of the places that I frequent has Sangria as their Happy Hour offering - theirs is made with brandy, red wine and vodka, along with the appropriate fruits and juices.


I do something a bit more simple... I grab a box of World Market's Wine4 Sangria Red and Wine4 Sangria White ~ it's "ready-to-serve" meaning it's pre-mixed with the fruit juices and other ingredients, and YES, there IS such a thing as white sangria!  So easy to prepare, just grab two pitchers, one for the white, one for the red, and then start cutting and slicing up some fruit. I generally slice up lemons, limes, and oranges and then I dice up pineapple and some sort of sweet apples, like Gala.  For the white Sangria, you can add frozen grapes, or raspberries, too... I usually freeze the fruit after preparing because I use it as my "ice" in the pitcer to keep the Sangria chilled, but not diluted. 

When I'm ready to serve it, I just grab my boxes of chilled Wine4 Sangria and pour that into the pitcher, add the frozen fruit and "muddle" it a bit to mix up the flavors. If I'm going to be outdoors, I set the pitchers of Sangria down in a tub of ice to keep it nice and cool. When guests are ready to be served, I just scoop some fresh ice into a glass, pour in the Sangria, and garnish the glass w/ a slice of orange or lime...

Voila!
 Cool, cool wine
on a hot, hot day!  

A bit of info about the Wine4 Sangrias...

  • They are made by Trinchero Family Estates in Napa ~ Trinchero is well-known for their single vineyard Cabernet Sauvignons (Cloud's Nest, Haystack, Chicken Ranch, etc.) and is also the producer of Napa Cellars wines, as well as Folie a Deux and Menage` a Trois wines. 

  • Each box of Wine4 Sangria holds the equivalent of 4 bottles of wine and will last 4 weeks in your fridge once opened and the cost breaks down to 4 dollars per bottle, or $15.99 a box.

  • Wine4 Sangria is available ONLY at World Market  AND...

  • It's on SALE right now for $12.99!! (only until 7/6/2010)
Find it ~ Buy it ~ Try it ~ Love it!
Salud` KathyD

No comments:

Wine Events

There was an error in this gadget

Popular Posts

Total Pageviews